Pages

28 October 2010

Interlude - noun - period in between

A few years ago, I got a diagnosis of cancer! Stopped me in my tracks . . . for a while. Then I learned there are MANY types of cancer and I had one that was "chronic"!! I had never heard of a chronic cancer, but I had it. I was able to live my life without much interruption, seeing my grandbabies, sewing, praying and enjoying life puctuated with trips to the doctor as we watched and waited, an actual term used in cancer circles.

Alas, my chronic cancer finally had enough impact on me to warrent the beginning of treatment, which I began Oct. 21, 2010. This is me just before they began infusing my six hours of Retuxin. The little elephant was given to me by my youngest after a previous surgery. He just makes me smile. He is wearing a surgical cap, a frequent fashion accessory for bald cancer patients and freely passed out by volunteers at the cancer center. I won't know if I will lose my hair for a while yet, it takes one to three weeks for that surprise to be revealed. The coconut juice is a healthier option than gatorade, which is encouraged to avoid dehydration. It worked! Thanks Dewey. The afgan is from my oldest's church's prayer ministry. Looks like I am ready to go!

I had to go back a total of four days for my chemo cocktail. Mine is called RFC. Yummy! Then 28 days later I do it again. Six times, then I will be well again. Complete remission, that's the plan.

This is my in my new look. I have permission to go out, but need to wear this mask and not hug and kiss! Hmmm, I think I can do that.

A selection of my medications. Three of these are for nausea and it STILL didn't work. Next time we'll try number FOUR!

And here are five reasons that I can do this. This is from our recent visit.

I have many more reasons to get well and keep my chin up during the rough bits. I have the most wonderful family. The love of my family is better than any medicine on this planet.

I also have a book,
CRAZY SEXY CANCER TIPS
by Kris Carr and these are a few of my favorites from her book.

Tip # 21. It takes a village, so create your tribe and delegate!
Tip # 41. Journaling is self-therapy on the cheap.
Tip # 42. Take a cancercation. (I LOVE that word, Kris is brilliant!)
Tip # 43. Take some time to quiet your mind. (vital for me as I take in prayers)
Tip # 53. Oxygen and a healthy pH balance are cancer's worst enemies*.

* my youngest has done extensive research and I begin every morning with kale, bok choy, beet tops, spinach, chard and romaine. Right through the juicer, down the gullet and off to fight the foes in my innards. I'll take all the help I can get.

No comments: