Pages

23 May 2012

North Carolina, May 2012

Soccer fields, pizza, parks, hikes, gifts, crying, games, time outside, swings, friends, lunch, birthdays, swimming, babysitting, shopping, low country boil, laughing, cinnamon rolls instead of birthday cake, planting flowers for d-i-l's b-day, lots of hugs, kisses, stories, songs and just being together.

Our little grandchildren are each so very different from one another, such distinct personalities and each is learning the skills, taught by loving engaged parents, to grow into loving caring adults, capable of navigating all that life will throw their way. It is fascinating to listen to them, watch them and just be with them. We are blessed to have them in our lives and blessed that they are shared with us so generously.

Baby D, almost 4, has gotten very generous with his "I love you's" and hugs. I eat that up, oh yeah! He always has something important to tell me and he is ready with a smile as big as all outdoors. I was gobsmacked at his ability to play games for a very extended period of time. While the others chose a movie, he wanted to play a game with me. Concentration. He showed great skill at remembering, showed a spirit of fairness, and just seem to enjoy that time with me and who ever else was willing to play along with us. Physically, he is a powerhouse. Compact, muscular and seriously coordinated! He is perfectly capable of doing anything he sees the older kids doing on the playground, even to the point of making a grandmother just a little bit . . . yikes!

Baby D has probably changed the most in the past year, as I have very strong memories of him just after his third birthday when his Aunt Dewey got married last summer. He had absolutely NO meltdowns, was beautifully behaved when we had lunch at the winery and cooperated with all the activities that we participated in while visiting. A great deal of maturing in the past year. When I think of all the steps that lead to him being in our lives, I think of how lucky we are to know this little man, he is a miracle with a twist! And we are the lucky recipients of having him in our lives.

My most favorite memory of Baby D from this trip? Falling asleep while swinging, slower and slower with his head dropping forward. I finally ran over and scooped him up and in disturbing him he opened his sleepy little eyes . . . and there came that great big Baby D smile. And he told me "next time I see you, I'll be THIS big" as he held his little arm up into the sky. I hope not, Baby D, I hope not. I want to see you right now, I love you to 500!

Baby K is probably the most interestingly introspective child I have ever known. We were blessed to have her here just last month and delighted in having her all to ourselves. She continues to enjoy life at her own pace, which for Baby K is very much of a "stop and smell the roses" pace. The word "fast" would not often be used to describe that little one. I can certainly appreciate that at this stage of my life. I, too, have a great appreciation for sitting and being and contemplating the gifts all around me. We are human BEINGS after all. When the kids were young, it was go there, do this, finish that, deadlines, appointments and all that comes with raising children. I enjoyed it at the time, but I can very much connect with Baby K's zest for life in the quiet introspective style that she has. That is also who I am at my very core. From Psalm 46:10 . . . Be still and know that I am God.

One of my best memories from this trip happened when I took her to wash her hands at the park after a little slip in the mud and just let her do it in Baby K time. After she slowly washed her hands and turned off the water, she stood at the sink contemplating the lovely design of her hands and fingers, how the water would gather and drip off the ends of her fingers, how they felt cool from the water. She did this as I slowly began to count. I hit 45 before she turned to reach for the towels to dry her hands. Hubby and I now use the phrase "baby k time" and when we say that, we know exactly what we mean. Doing things in Baby K time is heavenly, God has plenty of room in Baby K time. I love love love you my Baby K, you are sweet like a brownie and cute like a bunny.

Lulu has grown and is certainly a long way from her "Baby Duck" recital days of two years ago. Amazing how much a little girl can change from the age of 5 to 7. School seems to suit her, although she tried to convince us she doesn't like it. I don't buy it. She has made it a very successful endeavor, reading like a pro and she certainly enjoys the social part of it. I was quite impressed with her abilities on the playground, the girl is strong and coordinated, fun to watch as she travels over and under, swinging, hanging, climbing and jumping. She is also an amazing swimmer and we were able to watch her do her strokes at the pool. I have a feeling that whatever Lulu puts her mind to, she will be able to accomplish. She is certainly "the whole package" of smart, strong, loving and of coarse, like all her siblings, has the face of an angel.

My best memory of Lulu this time, seeing the development of her physical strength. Watching her at the playground was inspiring. I hope she will continue to find being a strong girl is something worth maintaining and she will carry it on through womanhood. I love seeing the women during the Olympics, strong and sure. Go, Lulu, go. You can do ANYTHING!

And THE COWBOY. Being first born grandchild has it's advantages. There will always be something especially magical about our cowboy. He is strong, smart and determined. His birthday gift request was a pocket knife and he picked one out exactly like his dad's. No surprise there. Dad's the bomb. He knows all the rules and spent a lot of time either whittling (ah, memories of my papaw who loved to whittle) or keeping track of his prize. He has gotten so tall and I am sure that within a year or two we'll be eyeball to eyeball.

I love the way the cowboy says my name. I always feel the love when he calls me. My best memory this time was him coming over during his break from his soccer game. He came over to visit with me. What a marvelous young man with a smile that melts my heart.

Time with those children is what I value most. They still want to spend time with me at this age, happy to talk, wanting to play games, read stories, sit next to you during meals or have you "watch this". That time goes by so quickly. Soon our visits won't create the excitement that they do now, but I'll still love going and spending time with them, they are such precious gifts.


The welcoming committee.

Feeding the geese . . . carefully.

We spent a LOT of time at the park.

Ready for some pool time. Even though baby D and Baby K have on floaties, they can both swim fairly well. Cowboy and Lulu are experts, so fun to watch.

Baby D loves to show his muscles, he has a few!

Our grand babies = LOVE!
OH, how we enjoy our time with them.

No comments: