Pages

22 September 2012

My wildest dreams

My younger daughter suggested I put my wildest dreams on paper and after thinking about them for a few days, I thought this time of year would be a great time to reflect upon my dreams. Funny thing is . . . many of my wildest dreams have already come true!

My marriage . . . don't we all stand at the alter imagining our "knight in shining armor" and years of wedded bliss? We hit that one out of the ball park. We are not perfect, we're just perfect for one another because we have both invested in our lifelong relationship, and we are having a blast doing it. I loved raising my kids, but we are certainly not feeling any "emptiness" in this nest. Our nest is fabulous just the way it is right now. A time for everything in it's season.

Kids. My kids were/are the coolest, funnest, smartest, best kids I could ever imagine and I enjoyed spending time with them, talking to them, doing things with them and just being in their company as they were growing and now. Added bonus, my kids got married to really awesome partners and I have MORE kids! Lovely kids, awesome kids. I must admit though, I really do miss those bedtime stories, that was always just about my favorite time of each day. Oh, and snuggling those little babies . . . sigh!

I still have my parents *, what a blessing is that? Beyond my wildest dreams that they would both be well into their 80's and still going strong. I have some brothers that I am pretty fond of and enjoy spending time with as well, and they married some lovely ladies that I have been privileged to know. Lots of love there. In-laws, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, nephews, nieces, my life has been full of a large and loving family.

Grand kids, now how fun are grand kids? The best fun, cause they like to play and I like to play. That is what grand kids are for . . . play.

Friends. Boy do I have some fabulous friends, some kinda newish, some kinda oldish, all really specialish. Most I have been through adventures with, shared joys and sorrows, stories and experiences, they are all precious to me. They are the silver and gold of life. Invaluable.

Travel . . . lived in Europe nearly 10 years and saw a lot of places while I was over there. I have some amazing memories and feel so fortunate. WAY beyond my WILDEST dreams. There are still some places on my list, Yellowstone, the giant sequoias, Mount Rushmore, the Grand Canyon. Planning on dragging some grand kids on those trips, to see it through their eyes.

Using my talents. God gave me a few of those and I believe I have used them well. I may not be a master at many, but I do OK. I certainly feel like hubby and I gave our kids (and a few random friends of theirs) a good foundation in life, they are pretty extraordinary people. We invested in them as parents, scout leaders, coaches, Sunday school teachers and all sorts of parental participation events. I am creative and like to build, my sewing is a testimony to that, but my biggest thrill is the stained glass windows I made, specifically for a church in our area. I am still kinda overwhelmed that I actually accomplished that. BEYOND my wildest dreams. I also love music, and have pursued that on several levels which is mostly an occasional hobby at this point. But still very satisfying. I still remembering dreaming about learning the hammered dulcimer and the violin. Yup, did it.

I dreamed of being in remission, and though I didn't DO anything, I accepted the healing of the doctors and treatment and was able to keep a positive attitude on that one. I only remember getting overwhelmed a couple of times, but I always had my eye on the prize.

So my wild dreams, heck, I am LIVING them. I've gone BEYOND them. Not sure what tomorrow has for me, but will continue to enjoy life, my loved ones and thank God every day for the adventure that I am on.

Wildest dreams,  any other suggestions? I can't imagine a richer more love filled life than I have had so far and look forward to many more adventures, blessings, and lots more love. 


* I wrote this earlier and had to add this bit before publishing. This summer my dad passed. He was 89 years old and was able to play with his friends and enjoy life right up until he began hospice in his home. He and my mom were even able to go out to dinner and celebrate their 64th anniversary! How cool was that?  

My mom took extraordinary care of him for over six weeks. I know it was not fun, but admire her for the sacrifice she made for him. We talked daily and rarely did she seem like she couldn't handle it, she always did. Hospice was amazing and helpful and I am so thankful she had them and family next door to help. He was in his own home, where he wanted to be and died peacefully on a Sunday afternoon, after receiving communion that morning. The funeral was amazing and spending time with so much family was a blessing and helped SO much with the grieving process. Both of his siblings that are still alive managed to come, all the kids, and many grands, great grands, nieces, nephews and friends were there to share in his passing. 




Nomi reading to her grandpa. One of my very favorite pictures of my dad. Love you and miss you dad, see you in heaven!

No comments: