We started at my brother and sister-in-law in AK, and true to form, my brother knocked it out of the park by building me some sewing tools that will make certain processes so much easier. A steam stick and a shoulder steamer/shaper. I will be using them very soon.
My sister in law is also involved in theater and wants a May West style dress for a function next year. So that is on my list of projects. I have already found a Simplicity pattern #1778 that I think will be perfect, so once that is on sale, I will purchase and make a muslin based on her measurements. They will visit at Thanksgiving, we can shop for the fabric she wants, and that will give me plenty of time to get it done over the holidays. After Thanksgiving, it will be pretty quiet around here, and we need a bit of "home time" and rest.
Thankfully, there was time for Dominos, love my game time. Love my AR brother and sister-in-law. Their home is in a completely different environment than ours, so always an opportunity for a completely different lifestyle experience.
Then off to Terre Haute for the 40th. So much fun. We had to contend with driving along the lead end of a cold front, but that just kept us from being bored on our long drive. A quiet dinner at the hotel and we were ready for a rest.
Lots of old friends were there, and several from hubby's group that rented a house together for senior year. We even drove by to give it a check. Sad looking house with lots of fun memories attached.
We walked around campus in the morning landing at the frat house for lunch, and there were the fellows that shared the house. Great stories and so fun to hang out. 40 years sure can seem like yesterday!
We did a quick trip to a locally owned fabric store and I found some lovely cottons for myself for a shirt waist and another piece for son-in-law.
Then to Indy for Polka Boy/Octoberfest, cousins, brothers, and COLD. By the end of our very early evening, our legs were numb up to our knees, even with the dancing to stay warm. So fun to see cousins I rarely get to see, grand nephews I rarely see, and so fun to hear a great band, and watch brother T let loose! Whoop!
During the next few days in Indy we had breakfast with oldest bro M and wife O, visited Uncle V and Aunt P who I very rarely see. They looked GREAT and it was so fun to get Uncle V to talk about his career. He started washing bottles at a pharmaceutical company. Learned some new information about a very precious Uncle.
It started out a bit slow for us eager beavers. We'd been to a Chief's game last year and they start the party about three hours before kick-off. Not so much in Indy.
Me waiting for the party to start.
Besides those highlights, we had two FABULOUS dinners with Bro T and his wife S. We celebrated T's birthday at an incredible steak place, including some lovely appetizers and then a dessert! The piano player even played Happy Birthday for him. What a pleasure to sit, talk and share for hours. We also had a FUN evening with them at a local Pub. We had the best waitress and laughed and drank and ate. Just doesn't get much better than sitting around a table with folks you love. We so rarely get time with these two. Blessings. After dinner, we had time to walk around downtown Indy, been a while since I have done that!
I had the bonus of hanging out for several hours at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. I had not been there in 43 years, and remember it having a huge impact on me. Robert Indiana, one of my favorite artists has several pieces there. He was and is an inspiration. It was so nice to just walk around with bro T. No pressure, just pleasure. They have some pretty great stuff there, and it's FREE! Go figure. I will be back.
Hubby and I spent a little time driving around my "old stomping grounds" after our visit with my Uncle since we were on that side of town. Two surprises.
This is the church that hubby and I were married in 40 years ago. Not quite the same as we remember. Good thing the marriage is holding up better than the church!
Our next leg took us to Springfield where we spent time with hubbies best bud from long ago. Food, drink and part of two games (just never quite seemed to get those finished, but fun none-the-less) occupied our time there. Plus a trip to the Lincoln museum. I had never been there and was again, quite impressed with the presentation. So glad we got to see that. Love old friends.
Heading further west we head into Kansas City just in time for playoffs. There was baseball watching and cheering, as the Royals took the first two games! Lots of excited Kansas City family to celebrate with. Love those grand nephews who are growing like weeds, and one is even driving! Yikes. The youngest was up for WAR and several rounds of a Snoopy Game that we played, other than a game of Fish with L, that was it for games in KC. Lots of food and a little shopping (got the cutest tea strainer ever!) and some polka music at a local winery and a trip to a local micro brewery completed our KC time.
My personal highlight in KS was an evening around a little pit fire in their back yard making smores. Most were there (one of the big boys has a girlfriend, amazing how that is so important at 15) and we just talked and laughed and spent that time together. The coolish air, the smoke occasionally blowing in your face, the crackle, the dark, the memories. Miss them already, what fun folks.
My only regret, I forgot to take pictures in KC, I was having too much fun! Augh!! Next time. We'll be back for sure.
Then we "wrecked the bed" in AR on our way back home to Texas, just a short evening with bro D and sis, a quick cup of coffee in the morning and then headed back to TEXAS and home.
One of my favorite trips. The weather kept the drive from being boring, as driving in the wind and rain can be very exciting, and it happened more than once! We listened to books, talked and remembered, and planned and dreamed. We even got a glimpse of fall colors, although definitely NOT at their peak. Road trips with hubby are fun, regardless, and the stops along the way were just the best. I love seeing family and friends. Nothing better than time together. Hey, gonna have to remember that one. For SURE!



No comments:
Post a Comment