
I have been searching for one particular person on my family tree recently and have found frustration until today. Today I hit the jack pot. This person, Noah, is my 2nd great grandfather. His daughter, Martha is my great grandmother and her son, Samuel Henry, is my mom's father. So cool. I was so frustrated in my search, especially because the only information I had before today was that his wife was named Delilah. But I knew Delilah was NOT in the family line.
Anyway, I now have a census record for Noah from 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, and 1900 (the 1890 US Census apparently burned, bummer) and also a U.S. Civil War Draft Registration record. It was a fun day!
Noah may have moved back to North Carolina where he was born when he got old, but I still have to find out who he is living with there, according to the census, whether a son who was out of the house before the 1850 census or a younger brother or nephew even. It can sure get crazy confusing when you start adding all the siblings and children. Plus they tended to use the same name over and over. My grandmother's maternal grandmother, had a daughter with the same name as her sister. A lot of that. There is even a Henry Henry.
The biggest find was to finally connect up with Noah's first wife Mahala, who is my actual 2nd great grandmother, even though Delilah was listed as his wife in some of the records. The only part that I would like to get sorted out is the two daughters of Noah and Mahala. Mary and Martha (don't you love it?) who were still quite young when their mother, Mahala passed away, I assume sometime between 1860 and 1863. More research!
So, the trouble with Mary and Martha.
Our family bible has Martha (the one in my direct line) as born 5 July 1853. In the 1860 census, she is listed as being age 5, which puts her birth year at 1855, and the 1870 census (10 years later) has her age 12, which puts her birth year around 1858 and Her sister Mary around 1855. That is quite a wide range from 1853 - 1858, but I will count on the family bible being correct. At least until I find a birth record or something. Searching for another day, if I can resist heading there right now! I have a picture of Martha's husband Peter, but none that I know of Martha.
No comments:
Post a Comment