I have finished up many of the items I was commissioned to do and will complete the last three at a later date. Actually five, as there are two shifts, two covers for the shifts and one shirt. I am needing to do some other sewing for SIL#2 who is waiting for some dress shirts. He bought the fabric and I hate for him to have to wait too long.
I just love this top, even though it presented some unique challenges. I did a muslin for fit and now think I have T's measurements (although I don't like to use numbers) or maybe body shape, down to the point that I could take many patterns and know how to adjust to make them fit her to a T. T to a T! Hee, hee. Silly me.
I always read through how the pattern manufacture suggests the garment should go together, but I have been sewing long enough that I have my own way. Maybe not better, but certainly more to my own preference. On this one for example the LAST stitching was up the sides, when they suggested that the waist be the final seam. I also used an elastic in the back waist, with a drawstring to gather just the front. I felt like all elastic, or all draw string would not give it the right fit. I also did not continue the front trim around the back neck, as it was so stiff it looked quite odd. There wasn't enough to do around the sleeves, even though I thought that would be a nice touch, then got an inspiration (and a thank you gift for hiring me) for the front V.
I made a little panel with leftover fabric and trim. Now she won't ALWAYS have to have a little camisole on when she wears it. I will make it removable with little hooks inside. Sure turned out cute!
Now I have to go to the part I don't like about sewing for someone else. The receipt. Always the part of stained glass that was my least favorite. Even paying my quarterly taxes was nicer than settling an account. My daughter-in-law has her prices all planned out and everyone knows in advance exactly what she has priced each package. I like that. I know I could do that on some things, but sometimes, in sewing, that isn't practical, but it's still something to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment