Pages

07 January 2011

Where's my banana?

Chemo . . . does funny things to the brain, let alone the rest of a body.

Yesterday I ate one banana and planned on eating a second one, as they were ripe, maybe a bit OVER ripe (remember this part) and after the first one, I lost track of the second banana. Roaming is a big part of my day the week after chemo. Just roaming, shuffling, peering out of the windows, senseless mind wandering as well. I remember thinking about the banana a few times during the day, but not with enough passion to stick with the thought, just a fleeting question in my head . . . "where's my banana"?

So, last night, hubby gets up from his "spot" on the couch to head for bed. Our living room is dim at night, some ambient light and the TV and under his bum was a very strange sight. It was sort of light and dark and blurry looking. At first I thought he must have sat on a bird and killed it. Don't ask me, it made sense at the time. Then he reached for it and pulled back with a "eewww". I bravely reached down and it quickly occurred to me . . . THERE's my banana! The poor thing had sat in a warm squishy place for at least an hour and neither of us had noticed. And remember the OVER ripe part. yeah baby, it was! Chemo brain.

My worst "c.b. incident" (thus far??? yikes!!) was when I followed hubby in from a venture out of the house (rare for me these days) and I left the garage door open and barely shut the door from the garage to the house. Hubby set the alarm when we went to bed and in the middle of the night we were woken to the alarm! The wind had blown the door open. We shut it, reset the alarm and went back to bed. In the morning he discovered that that garage door had also been up all night, not noticing when the back door blew open. I hope he learned his lesson!

No comments: