The pattern was the one presented at my Saturday class at the Quilt Fest taught by Elly Sienkiewicz from her book Beloved Baltimore Album Quilts. The pattern is called Crown of Ruched Roses. I did learn a few new little bits from the class, but find I do pretty well with the books, especially when they are books that are meant to teach. Elly's books are mostly like that. I have another of her Baltimore Album books and that was the one I started with. I don't believe I would need to actually have her teach me in the future, her books are great. She was a delightful lady, though and I enjoyed her class.
The ruched roses are really cool and it took the experts a while to figure out how our grandmothers did them. Glad they shared them with the rest of us. The ones I am making are from fabric, but you can also use a French wired ribbon. I thought I would try to master from regular fabric first before I used the much more expensive ribbon.
This is many hours of work so far, so these types of blocks (any Baltimore Album block) is pretty labor intensive. But time well spent in my book. The only down side of quilting is it takes time from sewing for my family. This quilt does have a home already in my guest room, so I will persist. I don't have any quilts in the house right now that don't have a specific use.
No comments:
Post a Comment