Pages

25 January 2014

A wedding dress

One of my friends, who was married in 1946, I believe, shared about her wedding dress, then invited me to see it. She then offered to let me take it, as no one in her family was interested. I decided to, at least, bring it home and photograph it. I tried my best to get it on the dress form I have, but this woman was 90 pounds (and probably still is) so the best I could do was hang it up and take pictures. 

I was quite surprised to see NO label, NO seam finishing and NO lining. She said she is sure she did NOT pay much for the dress, as she had to buy it herself, but she doesn't remember how much. Her daughter took it to the cleaners, but they would not touch it as they said the fabric was too fragile. Yup, at nearly 60 years old, I guess it would be fragile. 

The pattern of the bow and little edging is made by sewing a cording onto the dress. It is stitched with a machine. 









It is a lovely little dress and she looked beautiful in her wedding picture. I have known her for the past 11 years. Her husband passed away a few years ago. I am glad I know my friend. 

No comments: