Anyway, the dress isn't exactly like those of the 70's, but there are lots of things to consider when making a dress. I feel like I am still learning. My biggest challenge continues to be my shape, an exaggerated pear shape (two sizes bigger on my lower half than my upper half), so all patterns must be altered and I still find that to be a challenge. I have a book that helps, even having a special section on "high hip" which is another aspect of my shape. So I figure, the more I sew, the better I'll get and then I will have plenty of little summer dresses, which I prefer to pants of any type. I have found several patterns that flatter my figure, but after you have made four dresses with the same pattern, you want to try something new. This is a new pattern for me (Simplicity 3557) and I managed to get the shape right for me, and have it prepared out of muslin. I actually really like the pattern and will more than likely turn my black with red polka dot into a dress using this pattern. There is a trim detail that you can use for contrasting fabric, that will be fun to work on.

I am extremely aware that my taste is clothes is very unique to me. I am also extremely aware that I can be self conscious about the clothes I chose to wear at times. I imagine people whispering behind my back because I don't fit into what is seen on 95% of folks. Why is that? I like what I like and don't look at fashion magazines to fit into the days fashion, I enjoy them for the inspiration, the details, and I am always excited when I see women's dresses with COLOR! I like color. I also like dresses and skirts and tops. I rarely wear pants.

This dress lent itself well to some buttons my mom gave me when she began to struggle with her sewing due to loss of eye sight. She was generous with her leftovers, of which she had much. There were so many buttons. These buttons echoed the small floral pattern on the fabric design. I like them. I have four down the front and one on each sleeve detail.
No comments:
Post a Comment