Pages

26 March 2009

Those "blasted" Azaleas

While I was on my adventure downtown, the azaleas decided to come into full bloom. I also arrived home to a whopper of a storm, truly timing from above. As I pulled onto our street the wind, lightening and rain hit full force. I rocked down the road in my little Smart seeing the smaller trees at a 45 degree angle, SCARY!!! The storm was coming from the south west, but at our place the wind was straight from the north. I got my little self inside fast and felt very safe and cozy, even though the wind was whipping. This morning the news reported winds up to 70 mph and tornadoes to the east of us. We dodged that bullet. Some homes in the area lost electricity for a couple of hours. I kinda know it's not real good when the storm is coming one direction and the wind from another. We even had purple over our area on the weather radar for a while, with a huge red blob surrounding that. An inch of rain in less than an hour. We had some more today, but just regular rain thank goodness. I do like regular rain. Regular rain is lovely.



Anyway . . . back to the azaleas. After reaching their peak and then getting the snot beat out of them, this is what they look like now. Sad.



The last picture is my "rain gauge." I am a little weird when it comes to rain and can get a little fixated on switching to the weather channel or calling up the radar on the internet. I like to know what is headed my way, which generally helps me avoid being caught in a storm like last night. I am the first one to STAY HOME if something is coming. I have been comparing the color of the radar, light green, medium green, dark green, yellow, orange, red, and even purple on occasion (we had purple last night) with the flow of water coming out of our back downspout. I have gotten pretty good at knowing what "color" will be on the radar by the flow from the spout. This picture shows dark green.

No comments: