Pages

15 June 2012

Goodbye my friend

I had to say goodbye to a mentor and friend this week. Her faith and spirit were an inspiration to me. She seemed almost giddy with excitement to meet her Lord and Savior and join the FEAST. I found making this itty bitty Hug-A-Bear made me feel better. It is a reminder of all loss and all hope for me. It seems that each day brings not only joy, but also sorrow, sometimes having profound swings, sometimes inexpressible. I hold HIS hand quietly, firmly, knowing that all is well.

I love this from

Word History: No doubt more than one reader has wondered exactly how goodbye is derived from the phrase "God be with you." To understand this, it is helpful to see earlier forms of the expression, such as God be wy you, god b'w'y, godbwye, god buy' ye, and good-b'wy. The first word of the expression is now good and not God, for good replaced Godby analogy with such expressions as good day, perhaps after people no longer had a clear idea of the original sense of the expression. A letter of 1573 written by Gabriel Harvey contains the first recorded use of goodbye: "To requite your gallonde [gallon] of godbwyes, I regive you a pottle of howdyes," recalling another contraction that is still used.

No comments: