Pages

11 June 2012

Triple Threat

I have been sewing for many years and have had five machines. A Kenmore that I received as a teenager that caused no end of grief for a girl who proceeded to always end up using her mom's Singer. Then a garage sale Penny's machine for our first years of marriage, that was great. After that a Bernina that I ran into the ground. It was even taken overseas with a 220 motor installed on it. Then my mom's old Pfaff that finally started "losing it" due to old age (it was NOT mechanical), and my current Pfaff, which I love and hope to use for at least 10 plus years. I have a mechanical Bernina off to the side (again, mom's donation) that I will keep forever.

Then my supplements . . . on the left is a twenty year old Hobby Lock serger which has been a godsend. Thanks AGAIN, mom! I am not sure how I ever managed without it. I have had it for 10 years and it is showing it's age, but so far only cosmetically, as it still seems to be running like a dream. Then my NEWEST addition to my tools . . . and something I have been dreaming about for about 8 years, a COVERLOCK machine.

For those who have no idea what a coverlock machine does, no point in explaining, but rest assured, it is a wonderful time saver and makes the best finishing on knits and wovens. They have fancy (really expensive) machines that can go back and forth and do all sorts of tricks, but I sew in a very practical way, and this machine is perfect for me.

Hey, a gardener has more than one tool, a chef has many, rarely does a photographer have only one camera/lense, and many other occupations have a variety of tools at their disposal, and I finally have a tool that I have dreamed of and will make my time in my sewing room even more fun, pleasant and productive than it already is.


Two examples of my first efforts!


No comments: