Pages

04 February 2010

Silky dress for Lulu

My oldest grand daughter is a bit of a "fashionista". She is definitely interested in clothing and has very specific likes and dislikes. I try to pay attention to what she says she likes (pink and sparkly) as well as to what she doesn't say but shows in her choices. The last time we were visiting, she sacrificed warmth for texture, she wanted soft and silky. So . . .

I had a silky pink fabric from something my youngest chose years ago to try to make a pair of jammies out of. My mom also gave me fabrics to make slips out of. I tried it once, and wasn't satisfied with the results. Slips are inexpensive, so I set that fabric aside for "something" and in this case decided to build the slip into the dress. Little girls don't tend to think about slips and this dress definitely needed some type of lining.

The dress is floor length, with a small front panel and three sections front, four in back with a zipper. The tie in back helps the dress fit nicely through the waist.



This shows the flair. It will move nicely and swirl a bit as she spins, always a bonus for little girls.


This shows the little shoulder detail, tricky but nice.


Inside the dress front and back. The slip fabric and lace trim will let Lulu slip on the dress and go! The zipper was a left over, so doesn't match, but from the outside, it doesn't show.



When I do a little dress like this I learn about fabrics and details and other types of construction details. It takes just as long as a "big" dress, but saves on fabric. Hopefully Lulu will enjoy the dress. She is coming next month, so we will have the opportunity to try it out! Fun. Now, to make a couple more for her visit.

No comments: