Pages

27 March 2013

Silky Top Experiment

I am still working on different tops/shells and yesterday I tried this bias pull over with a draped neckline. There are SO many parameters when sewing that go far beyond fit and fabric pattern. This fabric I used in a lovely dress a while back that I wore to a CASA event. It had an edge detail where it went into a dark rose color and a more dense pattern of flowers. I used the darker edge for the bottom of the dress and sleeves and a scarf detail around the neck. Unfortunately it was one of the dresses that had to be passed on due to my figure change. I had some fabric left, enough to try this top.  

It looks great, just not so much ON me. Like I said the fabric weight, drape, movement, all impact the final product. I am not sure I like the way THIS fabric drapes at the neckline, and I am SURE I don't like how low the neckline drops in the back, but in order for it to pull over, it has to be fairly low. I will wear this with a jacket that I have, adding the little scarf out of the edge pattern, but will need to shorten the hem before that happens. I am short waisted and find that any pattern I make has to be shortened in the torso by 1 - 2 inches to accommodate my figure. 
                                                           


Something I realize when I make something like this . . . . I am really a cotton kind of a girl. Yes, a tad fancier stuff is needed for Galas and such, but I am always happier in cotton wovens and knits. 

Here is the original dress. I surely did like this one. 


No comments: