Pages

22 April 2013

Happy Earth Day


I hit the beach this weekend, but I wasn't decked out in my polka dot bikini with a drink that included an umbrella. I was wearing FOUR layers, boots, a scarf and hat and big gardening gloves. I was picking up other people's trash. 

We joined a group from hubby's work and were very enlightened at how our precious beaches (they have a purpose, after all) are being abused by ignorant people. If they realized the damage they were doing, would they still make a pit to bury four cases of empty beer can's? Would they leave their plastic water bottles EVERYWHERE? Would they leave shoes, broken glass, lighters, cigarette butts, and all the other stuff that would be SO easy to carry to the nearest trash can, or take home to recycle. If you have enough time and energy to head to the beach, you have enough time and energy to take home what you brought, along with a nice feeling of responsibility and hopefully some happy memories. 

The beach is a lovely spot, and if you don't look too close, you are unaware of the garbage and trash that is everywhere. It is just a lovely beach. But sometimes it is important to look closely, to care and to DO something to make the earth a happier place. Happy Earth Day! 

No comments: