The collar stand is another very critical piece that could be hit and miss in my past efforts, but I think this procedure will lead to more consistent and professional looking results. Again, a few more steps, and attention to detail, but more than worth it.
Like the collar, the INSIDE piece needs trimmed by one eighth inch on each side so the inside piece is shorter than the outside piece and will encourage the curve around the neck. In this case it is the UN-INTERFACED piece, as opposed to the collar which was the interfaced piece. In this way, the part that does not show when the shirt is being worn has interfacing.
This is a template that I will use. I marked the wrong side of the undercollar with my iron off marker for precision. Precision is the key.
On the pattern I made I notice that the seam allowance for the body of the shirt ended up being about 3/8 inch instead of 5/8. I will either add that on to a new pattern or make a note. One thing the book said was to NOT worry about those 5/8 seam allowances, so I am going to try to let that go. If it fits and looks nice, who cares about a silly seam allowance?
I rolled up the body of the shirt to get it out of the way before sewing the collar stand together. I sewed the top of the collar stand to the edge of where the collar would be attached. After it was sewn, I trimmed it VERY close the the edge of the stitching, so there was no bulk after turning. The top stitching locked it down and reinforce the collar stand.
This is the collar stand with a very narrow edge stitching. NOT the quarter inch top stitching. The narrow top stitching is the step that connects the collar to the collar stand. SUCCESS!
No comments:
Post a Comment