I can't remember where I learned/saw this technique, but it is a favorite, always produces great results, looks fabulous, just like the professionals and it relatively easy to do. So, this is the only sleeve placket I will ever make. The one in the shirt books looks ridiculously intimidating and takes a LOT more fabric. Maybe on a rainy day when I am bored I will pull it out and see what it's like to make that one. For now, no way!
The sleeve is sliced and the bevels are cut. The strip is 2 1/2 inches by 11 inches and is folded and pressed so when it is laid flat it is one inch wide. The little corners of the cut are treated with fray check. They are one inch apart and 1/2 inch above the end of the straight cut. I have a little 3x5 that is my reference, but I have made so many of these, I can now do them without the cheat sheet.
Pinned and sewn along the edge of the opened up slit. The only tricky part is catching the inside corners, but just barely.
Once it is cut and pressed I lay it out with the overlap oriented to the back of the shirt. This is important to making sure that the cuff overlaps in the right direction.

Open and press.

Fold and stitch. Ready for the cuff. SUCCESS!
No comments:
Post a Comment