Pages

14 July 2012

THE grand experiment - the seams and hem

This part is about constructing the body of the shirt, all those seams. The arsmcye, the front to back seam which must be done before the cuffs can be added, and the rolled hem at the bottom.

This is the amscye finished.


This is the side seam. I serged both edges to prevent those little frays, letting the serger cut off more of the BACK of the shirt. I pressed the longer side over the shorter side, then pressed the whole seam towards the back of the shirt. Then did the top stitching.


This is the finished arm seam, which is why the chevron shape is created. Yes, the sleeve is wider at the top than at the bottom.


This is the rolled hem. I did not use a rolled hem foot for two reasons. With all those feet for two machines there is not a simple rolled hem foot for either! What? But I prefer to press and pin and do it this way. Same for the flat felled seams. NO felling foot used, but because I have always done it this way and the felling foot is just a help in getting an even seam, I sure don't need it. Shocking that these two feet are considered so important to the construction of the shirt, and I have never used or needed them. Plus I don't own them either!


I added this stitch down the front of the shirt to hold the facing down. That facing can really pop up and get all wonky on the inside. Don't like it, neither does hubby. I can do it or not as the wearer requests, but for this shirt, I did it. It will make for a neater shirt and easier to iron.

This step knocked "perfection" off the table, but I will NOT admit where. Nobody will see where it's not perfect, at least I hope not. We'll see.

SUCCESS!

No comments: