I have been working with a young lady from my church for the past couple of weeks. Her mom asked if I taught sewing. I hadn't before, really, but can't imagine more fun than sharing something I enjoy and am good at. I dream of my little granddaughters coming for a couple of weeks in the summer when they get older and spending time teaching them. We'll see.
Anyway, this young lady is doing a great job and seems to be enjoying herself. I am certainly enjoying her company and sharing my skills. I am working hard to show her ways of doing things that will lead to success. She is a very sharp kid, and I think that she "gets" stuff pretty quick, but I noticed some frustration when the need to UNdo a seam presented itself. I hope she will get comfortable with the fact that undoing seams, will be a regular part of sewing. I have her practice each skill especially on challenging fabrics (we are doing knits next) so that she can see how a little trick here and there can make a lot of difference in the finished product. NO rushing in sewing. And mistakes WILL be made.
Her first lesson with me was putting together a stuffed animal for a baby cousin. She had made some other things previously and was comfortable with the machine and many basics. She picked different components for the body, arms and legs, and used these to custom make a pattern from my pattern pellon. She then used some of my juvenile patterned flannel to make the doll. I had some leftover stuffing, and she did a great job of sewing up the opening. I didn't take a picture, wish I had. She completed that project during our first session.
Her second project, which took two sessions, was a pair of sleeping shorts. She liked a silky polyester, so we talked a lot about how the seams will look, how NOT to iron it too hot, and we also did quite a bit of adjusting the pattern, as she wanted them to sit lower than her waist and be shorter than the pattern allowed. I will make another pattern from our final measurements as she wants another pair of sleeping shorts out of the poly in a different color, and she will make a pair out of the knit we will use at our next lesson.
Button holes will be the next big challenge. I will have her practice before we put them on the garment, although I think she will do fine. She has a cute polka dot knit picked out for a jammie shirt and shorts.
Her cute little sleep shorts WITH a pocket. GREAT job!
No comments:
Post a Comment