

One of the challenges that I have being a grandmother who likes to sew for grandchildren she doesn't see often is SIZE! I have made jammie pants using the measurements I have, but they don't always fit comfortably, so I have been thinking about this challenge a lot. My engineered solution is to run the elastic through the casing, attaching it to the center back seam, placing a button hole to one side and having the elastic exit the casing through the buttonhole. I then attach buttons to the back of the pants along the one side and button holes in the elastic. I make it the exact measurement of the child, but it can be adjusted over a six inch stretch for comfort, and also to accommodate growth. I added plenty of length to the pants, so as he grows the hem can be let out. I am hoping at least two to three years of being a pirate is in his future.
I made a black head scarf and we will find some black boots to complete the ensemble. Oh, and of coarse an eye patch. I put a small detail on the vest to make it a bit extra special for my extra special grandson. Aurgh, it's a pirate.
No comments:
Post a Comment