Pages

27 December 2008

Happy New Year . . . well, almost

Dec. 31, tonight at midnight 2009 begins, so hard to believe. When I was a kid the concept of the year 2000 seemed a universe away, not within my reach. When you are young, you have no concept of time, and even think of your parents as "old" and of coarse even your grandparents aren't always OLD when you are a kid. I became a grandparent at the age of 50, in the year 2003, NOT OLD.

I have made New Years Resolutions, but not the typical ones of eating healthier and losing weight or stopping ANYTHING I am currently doing. Last year my resolution was to slow down, and I did. I have made it my routine, to give myself plenty of time to complete a project, to get ready to go somewhere, to prepare for something. With sewing in particular, I made a concerted effort to take each step in the process and ENJOY it. I still hurried and didn't always pay attention, as I did have to tear out a seam or two, or three . . . Funny how easy it is to pick the wrong way to do something when there are only two ways, right and wrong! hmmmm.

One resolution concerns the sewing room, which is currently EMPTY except for some pictures and quilts on the wall which I plan on removing. I plan to strip the room bare, repair the holes and really think about setting it up again. I have a new sliding door as of yesterday which will make the room far more "user friendly" as opposed to the sad, inferior door that was there before. Thus the empty room. So one of my resolutions is to make the room more of what I want it to be. I spend many hours in there and love the space, I am very lucky to have a specific place to sew, that doesn't need tidied up each night, that can be shut away safely and gone back to as I have the time and energy to work. I will not rush the process because I plan on continuing last years resolution, it's a keeper.

My other resolution involves my neighborhood. I will be sending a post card to each of my neighbors inviting them to a planned monthly lunch at a local eatery, so we can connect, share what is going on in our lives and just enjoy one another's company. I have some awesome neighbors and they are so convenient, right out the front door! I hope this ends up being a success, as I really have great neighbors and love spending time with them. I will keep at this one until it is a habit.

I also like to spend time reflecting back and being grateful for the past year. And I am grateful, VERY grateful. There are many ways of looking at things and I just can't help but find the sunny side. And generally that is the side I land on. I can't think of anything that would cause me despair or ultimate sadness and I think the reason for that is my number one gratefulness, my faith. I believe that we are here temporarily, that we will find many challenges and struggles, that when one problem resolves another will take its place. BUT it is HOW we deal with these difficulties that makes the difference. I also believe that life is so full of joy, and wonder and magic in the big and little things that I just have to have a smile on my face much of the time. I am ultimately a person of great happiness and peace, even though at times I can have moments of stress and worry. They pass, I am human after all.

Other things I am grateful for . . .

My husband, who I cannot say enough good things about. God knew what he was doing when he lead us to one another. God has also been with us as we got to know one another, began our lives together and raised three beautiful children and traveled the world. We now are "just the two of us" and I can't imagine a better friend to hang out with, just being together is amazingly wonderful. Thank you God for my husband.

My children. The wonder of experiencing these three tiny babies grow into adults that care about themselves, the world they live in and one another. They are talented, fun, interesting and hard working people who I consider it a privilege to know. I am double blessed that they love me and keep me a part of their lives. Every day is mother's day in my book. Thank you God for my children.

My parents. Who would I be without them? I am so fortunate to still have both of them and am able to stay in contact on a daily basis, if not in person at least through technology, so thank God for ways to stay in touch. Oh, and I think they just celebrated 60 years of marriage, say what??? That's a LONG time!! Thank you God for my parents.

My grandchildren. They are four of the cutest, sweetest and some of the most lively little people I know! I don't see them real often, but because their momma blogs I have daily contact on their growth and adventures. I get so much joy when I see my grandson in his cowboy shirts, he wears them a LOT. It's like I am hugging him every day. The clothes I make for them are full of prayers, so when they wear them, I imagine extra love surrounding them. I hope to have many years of sewing and praying for these special little people. Thank God for my grandchildren.

My in-law "bonus" kids. The people my children have chosen to partner with. I pray that they will cherish one another and have many years of happiness. These are people who love my children, so they have to be very special. When my children were born I began praying for their future mates, from the very beginning, figuring they were "out there somewhere" and it was a pleasure when I finally got to meet the ones I had been praying for. God bless them all.

My health. Some may think that is a silly thing for me to say, but I am very grateful for my health. It is what it is, and I will carry on! Life is full of limitations, and I embrace mine and focus on what I CAN do. Sew and pray, and lots of other stuff, too. Thank God for my health.

The little things. Spending time, doing nothing special, games, adventures, hearing about how a day went, seeing a smile, a success, good ideas, time, creativity, sunshine, warmth, a cosy home, the freedom to be what I choose to be, a lovely garden, the list is endless. I am frankly grateful for each and every moment, and each and every person in my life. They are all ways that God shows me He loves me.

No comments: