
Hubby is obsessed with bugs, he loves bugs. This was a particularly unique find. The left behind bit of what his best guess was from a dragon fly. There were teeny little dragonflies in the area, almost translucent. All you could see was a little sparkle dancing around in the air.
My first "sighting" was after I brushed away a tickle on my neck. I guess baby dragonflies aren't very discriminating as to where they fly, being somewhat unfamiliar with the experience. I imagine, just emerging from their outer skeleton, this world would prove to be a bit confusing. So right into my neck a baby dragonfly flew. He/she was probably wondering why, all of a sudden, his/her euphoric feeling of freedom was frustrated by a strange, warm, soft and wrinkly wall of what??* Thankfully when I brushed away the tickle, I didn't hurt the baby dragon fly. He/she was a bit discombobulated though, as I noticed in the grass the first little sparkle, and there he/she was recovering from his/her trauma of being rudely brushed aside.
All I saw at first was the sparkle, then, finding a sparkle in the grass after nearly a month of no rain, well, it seemed a bit odd. Looking more closely, I saw what looked like the smallest dragonfly I had ever seen. Not even an inch long, VERY skinny, and almost not there, just that sparkle. We have lots of dragon flies in the garden so after my mind settled on dragonfly, then translated to BABY dragonfly, then back to the skeleton left on the leaf, it all fell into place.
What a fun find! Our front AND back gardens are a wonder. Very natural looking, with things growing that WANT to grow, a few cuttings from friends, a few things that were originally planted when the house was build (particularly magnificent is our magnolia tree), some wildflower seeds scattered about and a few select items from the garden store. Our best find was a plethora of "left overs" from the local Garden Club that was selling at an event. The rain was coming down in buckets, it was closing time and as we were making a couple of purchases, someone offered to let us have everything left for a very ridiculous price! We took it ALL! It took hours to get it all into the ground, but much of it has grown and spread and adds another dimension to our garden. So we aren't the type to go and pay someone thousands of dollars to measure and plan and plant. What's the fun of that? Of coarse, the garden is now hubby's domain, exclusively. I only go out and observe and enjoy, but that suits both of us just fine. It's his place to be.
He is very proud of his habitat, and proudly proclaims with THREE, yes, three signs on the garden gate.


* my neck wrinkles probably looked like caverns to that little baby dragonfly.
No comments:
Post a Comment