Pages

02 August 2013

August 2

Yesterday was an interesting and full day, but I still managed to get at least a little sewing room time. I started out with my little class manager job and workout. Nice routine, keeps me honest. I then ran home and got dressed up to help my 93 year old buddy celebrate her birthday. It was a lovely luncheon at her daughter's home with lots of loving friends. She was still going strong after 5 (yes FIVE!) hours. Always enjoy my time with her.



Then I headed over to my local super store to pick up school supplies for my babies. It had been over 14 years since I last did this, it was kinda fun, but then it was just me and I found everything I needed super easy and was quickly on my way. Even popped something in for the youngest foster, and threw a surprise bag of lifesavers in there. I mean really, who gets truly excited about school starting? I know I always did, but I really liked school, even high school. What was wrong with me?  They are packed up and will be mailed off today after breakfast with a buddy. 

 What a lovely bunch of school supplies. 
Fresh new and ready to go!

So then . . . it was nearly 5:30, and it is Thursday!  Not much time to sew before the Runway show starts, and I never miss the Runway show!  DRAMA and incredible ideas and inspiration. But I headed into the sewing room for a couple of hours. After all, who needs dinner? And hubby was eating out. 


This is going to get me started. A tried and true pattern with a slight adjustment through the bust and maybe an embellishment or two. I have some light blue fabric and an idea of how to use it and also played around with some stitches on the Pfaff and some embroydery thread that my mom passed on to me. It is metallic, so a special needle and slow careful sewing. One of the stitched broke the thread, so won't be doing that one. I like the X stitch the best of these and will use it sparingly. Just a little touch here and there. Not sure how, but I like it. 


I got much of it cut out and the pieces ready to do the tricot interfacing. I like using tricot for the front facings, collar and back facing. I have learned to apply the tricot BEFORE I cut out the pieces. I love my serger, as I serge the edges and everything just stays so nice and neat. 


Another project that I am totally intrigued with. A retro pattern that I want to try with black and polka dot. Got the fabric washed and pressed and ready to go. I purchased black bias binding already and will be adding this to my August projects. 


The last bit I did was also prep work. The red to make a little cotton shirt to go with a red, white and blue shell that I made earlier this year. The shell was from leftover material. I did it for fit and practice, but want to enjoy it, it is very cute, so figured a cute red shirt will be perfect. I am not sure which shirt pattern I will use. I have three to try, so will be sorting that out in the next day or two as well. I will most likely do that with a muslin. I made a shirt earlier out of leftover fabric (picture below) and it ended up looking pretty bad. The proportion was WAY off for me. 

My red cotton for a shirt.

 The shell that will go with the red shirt. 
I think I made a shirt waist for oldest with this. 

This shirt looks horribly boxy on me. A good practice piece with leftover material. 

So now, why am I still sitting here? Get into that sewing room girl!  

No comments: