Today I am working on a jacket. When the patterns were on sale for 70 cents I bought three VERY BASIC patterns that had lots of hints and tricks to a perfect fit. I have been sewing enough that I have a pretty firm handle on how to alter a standard commercial pattern to fit me. Kinda nice, but then you can always pick up new knowledge. Plus I want to practice more couture techniques on extremely simple garments and then expand from there.
I am using the same fabric from the LBD so will basically have a simple suit when I am done. The other basic patterns are a dress with an empire waist and princess seams and a longer jacket with a collar. All good practice and all very functional garments.
I made a muslin, noted all adjustments and then made a pellon pattern from that. I have found that the muslin is not the best to use for pattern pieces as there can be some distortion. There isn't with the pattern pellon. I also have the pellon patterns hanging in the closet with a note on each one with who it belongs to, which pattern it is adapted from and any outfits I have already used it for. I like that system. A lot of work, but for me, worth it.
I am going to line this jacket with a blue silk. A piece from my mom. I found stains and spots on it, so won't worry about it being inside the jacket. I cut it so the spots will be hidden from view in the sleeves. That will be a very comfy jacket to wear. A hug from my mom each time I put it on.
I am so enjoying this experience of sewing. I have gotten better with the coverlock and have made a number of knit garments, so simple and quick. I have also worked on simple yet fine garments and improved my fitting skills. It's been good so far and I still have over a week left.
No comments:
Post a Comment